Match Reports Weekend 4th & 5th November. Report No. 10

Posted by Victoria Adams on 6 November 2017

Cannock M1 1 – 3 Sheffield Hallam

   Cannock travelled to bottom of the league Sheffield looking to get back on track after last weeks reverse. Early exchanges saw both sides equally fight out possession but the home side broke the deadlock with a reverse strike. This was quickly followed by a second thanks to a close range finish following an unseen foot possibly.
   Cannock picked their game & pulled a goal back thanks to a diving Kyle Gladwin finish. Half time saw Cannock trailing 2-1.
   Cannock dominated large periods of the second half but failed to find the equaliser & against the run of play Sheffield added to their lead against the run of play.


Cannock M2 0 – Nottingham University  
   Cannock traveled to Highfields, to play Nottingham University. First half started with some enthusiasm but the cold weather was putting Cannock’s mood down. After periods of poor play dispersed with moments of genius a long ball in was deflected in by the hosts to take a 1-0 lead. With the lead to Nottingham, Cannock ran hard and had chances with a 2v1 ending in a miss touch and a shorter corner but a dreadful trap meant it went wide. From a quick break the home side snuck a shot off and scored another just before half time. The second half Cannock dug deep and stayed goal free.
   With time left to turn the match around a counter attack from Cannock saw a 3v1 with the keeper emerge but we knocked wide instead of in the goal, Cole Hickman earning dick of the day. A stronger second half but poor personal standards led the away side with a lot to be desired.
MoM - Gavin Adams made a triple goal line save to stop the Nottingham side getting anymore.


Cannock M3 6 – 2 Leek
   Cannock welcomed old rivals Leek to Chase Park on a sunny afternoon. The opposition were searching for their first point of the season after a difficult start.
   Cannock were looking to emphasise on small improvements after a sub standard performance last week. The game started with Cannock applying pressure to a young Leek side. The majority of possession was had by Cannock who played some much improved hockey, moving the ball from side to side through the defence and into midfield probing the Leek back line, eventually a short corner came and the first attempt from a James Griffiths flick was well saved but only for the ball to fall at the  P spot, Captain Tom Widdowson reacted quickest to slap home the first of the game and first of the season for the captain. 1-0.
   More pressure applied and Cannock were searching for another, multiple attacks at the opposition goal kept the Leek goalkeeper very busy, and to his credit put on a outstanding performance. Soon the second came via an Ed Martin goal, a second phase shot from a tight angle allowed Ed to strike home a goal. 2-0. Another soon followed, again Ed latched on to another stray ball in the D to slot home his second a make 3-0.
   The second half came and Cannock looked to advance on their lead even further. The structure and ball moved was not a precise as tiredness set in and this lead to individual errors allowing Leek to gain more possession. Multiple short corners were awarded to them but they struggle to convert as the Cannock defence held off the attacks. Soon enough though Leek found an opportunity and converted their chance. 3-1.
   Cannock took the restart and within a minute Spencer Ley played the ball down the left side to Danny Swinnerton and with a single touch played James Griffiths through on goal, with some neat stick work James worked his way into he D and on his reverse slotted the ball under the keeper to resume a three-goal lead. 4-1.
   Cannock resumed their dominance and pushed for another goal, this time Lewis Micheal carrying the ball down the right side and along the base line playing the ball to the far post, Ed appeared again diving to stab the ball over the line. 5-1.
   As time wore on more mistakes were made and Leek found an opportunity on a break away attack, a shot from the D was heading wide until an outstretched touch from a Leek forward touched it in at the back post. 5-2.
   There was time for one last chance, and having found his hatrick already Ed wasn’t done, his fourth came after a barrage of attacks in the dying moments fell his way and a snap shot made its way over the line. Cannock 3s move up to 6th in the table.


Cannock M4 3 – 4 Edgbaston M5s  
   Cannock welcomed Edgbaston to Chase Park this week, Cannock bring light on defenders changed their formation to 2-3-3-2, this seemed to spur Cannock on and they soon had chances to take the lead, unfortunately they weren’t taken, it didn’t take long for Cannock to score with another great goal from Phil Heighway his second in 2 weeks. Cannock continued applying the pressure and it paid off again when a flick was awarded, Gary Stacey converted it with a pinpoint accurate shot.
   Half time arrived with the score 2-0, much the same was asked for in the second half.
   Cannock started well but Edgbaston got a short corner early on, it was converted with a shot that gave Oli Callow no chance in goals, with the score 2-1 Cannock needed to take control again, unfortunately it wasn’t long when Edgbaston got another short corner and again they converted it.
   Pressure was now on and Cannock looked like a different team from the first half, unfortunately Edgbaston got another goal to make it 2-3 Cannock kept on battling but couldn’t find the goals again, Paul Martin made a run into the D and was wiped out by a defender which wasn’t seen by either umpire, I card should of been issued along with at least a short corner. Cannock kept fighting and were rewarded with a well taken goal from returning player Greg Bloomer. 
   Things seemed to now be in Cannock’s favor when they were reduced to 9 men, 1 red card for Paul Minall man handling a player and 1 green for Evan Alcock hitting the ball away after the whistle was blown, backs to the wall now, Cannock held strong but Edgbaston with the 2 player advantage got they 4th goal.
   Another 2-0 lead given away, a bitter pill to swallow, Cannock Mens 4’s need to bounce back next week when they take on Harbourne


Cannock M5 2 – 2 Lichfield


Cannock L1 2 – 0 Olton  
   Cannock travelled down the m42 to an experienced Olton and west Warwick’s team, knowing a win would move them above the home side. Cannock started positively taking the game to the hosts and penetrating the D on several occasions but without reward.  Cannock were pleased to go into half time at 0-0 knowing they had been let off on a couple of occasions.
   Olton had their fair share of opportunities in the second half and actually put the ball in the back of the net on three occasions only to see all three disallowed (rightly so).
   Cannock capitalised on very niggled and frustrated Olton, Jodie Beddow deflecting a short corner into the back of the net.  7 minutes later Cannock got a further short corner and Esme Gibson struck a backhand shot past the keeper in second phase to stun the home side.
   The best team performance of the league season saw Cannock deservedly take their second win on the bounce and move them up the table.
Mom Jo Carpay


Cannock L2 2 – 2 Birmingham University  
   Cannock travelled away to Birmingham University late in the afternoon to play a tough fixture. Cannock started the game with more energy and accuracy than their student counterparts resulting in a few early attempts on goal, which were frantically, mopped up by the Birmingham keeper. Cannock then had to defend a couple of penalty short corners which were all dealt with ease by the experienced Cannock defence.
   Bethan Till opened up the scoring for Cannock halfway through the half with a mean deflection from the left hand post on an attacking penalty corner. Cannock kept up the pressure, Birmingham University spilling a lot of their long passes allowing Cannock to make attack after attack. Bethan Till slotted Home her second of the half with another deflection from the left post leaving Birmingham University very frustrated.
   The students scored just before half time with a well rehearsed corner routine making it 2-1 going into the break.
   The second half was well matched and at a bit of a stale mate until Birmingham University got lucky from a mid air deflection into the Cannock goal.
Final score was 2-2, a well-fought point for Cannock ladies 2’s.
MOM was central defender Lucy Hammond for her heroism and leadership.


Cannock L3 2 – 3 Bloxwich L1s
   Cannock ladies 3rd team played a very hard fought match against top of the Staffs division 1 Bloxwich Ladies 1s. The first half saw Bloxwich ladies put pressure on Cannock for the first 20mins, with many short corners given against us. Cannock defence were strong and did not concede any goals with very clear instruction from the keeper Tiegan Cooke. Unfortunately Bloxwich were able to score from a Bloxwich umpire decision to award a penalty flick against Jude Hitchens who did a slide tackle and took the ball but was yellow carded for 10 minutes. Cannock bounced back as Jude came back on and controlled the last 5 minutes of the first half. 
   The second half saw a much stronger attacking performance from Cannock ladies who put Bloxwich under pressure and took the score to 1-1. Bloxwich scored again and Cannock returned to take it to 2-2. The final 10 minutes saw both sides fighting hard and trying to break each other down. Unfortunately Cannock failed to clear a ball out of the D that was on the line and Bloxwich scored to go to 3-2.
   Cannock did not give up and were able to get the ball to Lucy Spencer in the D who was taken down and a penalty flick was awarded. Unfortunately Lucy Spencer was unable to convert this and with only a few minutes left to play Cannock were unable to score an equaliser. A close game but Cannock left everything out on the pitch and look forward to playing the top of the league at home in February.


Cannock L5 1-1 Lichfield 7’s
  Cannock Ladies 5’s played exceptionally well today against Lichfield with a draw of 1-1. The newly devised team with two new players, worked fantastically well together. Cannock played forward for the majority of their game, ensuring that there were chances at goal. Cannock’s goal was scored by Georgia Lloyd in the beginning of the second half, followed by Lichfield’s goal later in this half. The players of the match went to Lucy Norwood and Kim McColl, both players who are under the age of 16.

Why Cannock Hockey Club

Why Cannock? We've a history of competing in and winning National competitions across all junior and senior hockey. We're also a great club with numerous sides playing every weekend for players of all ability and commitment! 

Get in touch

Our latest news

Sponsors Area

© 2012 - 2021 Cannock Hockey Club. All rights reserved.

To contact your Data Controller, click here

Respice - Aspice - Prospice 'Cherish the past; Build on our present achievements; Be adventurously ambitious for the future.'

If you wish to withdraw consent from us holding your personal data please email requesting your data be removed from the site. However, this will only be possible if you cease your membership.

In addition, if you wish to exercise your right to be forgotten please click here

Powered by ClubBuzz.

Details of Data Controller are

Name: Rob Davies