Match Reports Weekend 28th & 29th October. Report No. 9

Posted by Victoria Adams on 29 October 2017

Saturday 28th October

Cannock M3s 3 – 1 Warwick

Cannock Men’s 3s travelled away for the second consecutive week, this time to newly promoted Warwick. The opposition had a similar start to Cannock with one win from three but remained one place behind on goal difference. This was a must win fixture for Cannock.
The game started with intensity from the opposition and good ball movement; with credit to Warwick they did not look like a newly promoted team. The ball position was fairly even for the first quarter with neither side dominating play. Cannock eventually worked their way up the pitch to find themselves with a penalty corner after some good movement by Callum Warren down the left side. Chris Mayer stepped up and after the initial shot was saved he picked the ball and on his reverse found the bottom corner. 0-1 to the away side.

Warwick continued to press and with a lack of structural organisation from Cannock they soon found some space to create a number of attacks. Fortunately Cannock stood firm and dismissed any opportunities Warwick had. Soon after a well placed aerial ball from the back allowed Cannock forward Ed Martin to bypass the Warwick defence with a 1v1 with their goalkeeper, after the initial shot was saved Ed attempted a second for it only to be miss hit and fall wide of the goal. Half time came 0-1.

The second half started in a similar way to the first, no team dictating the play and the ball moving from one end to the other. Cannock created spells of good play but could never quite find a way passed the Warwick defence, until some well worked passes between the defence and midfield allowed Andrew Hodgetts to move down the right and play a cross to the far post allowing debutant Spencer Ley to find his first goal for Cannock. Cannock started to grow in confidence but unfortunately still made errors in the middle of the park, a missed challenge on the half way line allowed Warwick to move the ball down the middle and worked their way to the Cannock goal, two passes and opportunistic touch at the back post allowed Warwick to pull one back. 1-2.

The last 10 minutes became nervy for Cannock but they pressed on, another aerial ball found its way through to Ed Martin, and once again another 1v1 with the Warwick keeper, unfortunately a last ditched tackle by the opposition defender thwarted another goal. The game was nearly at an end and Cannock has one last chance in the D, which resulted in a penalty corner. The final whistle was blown and the game was won, just a last chance to increase the goal difference. Once again Chris Mayer stepped up, a left slip to Callum Warren who flicked it at the keepers pads for it to the fall kindly to Chris who struck it into the roof of the net. Final score 1-3 to Cannock


Cannock M4s 2 – 3 Harbourne M5s

Cannock mens 4’s faced Harbourne 5’s away, after last weeks fabulous victory hopes were high, even though the team was changed dramatically from last week, Cannock travelled with only 1 sub although that sub hadn’t played for 10 months meaning the 11 starters had to work hard for the 70 mins. Cannock started well and had much of the ball in the 1st 10-20 mins, but some poor passing and finishing meant chances weren’t taken.

Cannock eventually took the lead with a well taken goal from Karl Bayliss, Cannock should of pushed on but Harbourne seemed to win the 50/50 balls and Cannock almost let Harbourne back in, half time came with it still 0-1.

After some wise words at half time Cannock started well and got their second goal when Evan Alcock on the left passed the ball to Dave Wigg who through the eye of a needle passed the ball just in front of the goal for a diving Phil Heighway to finish in style, I goal fitting for any national league team.

Cannock kept on pushing and had enough chances to get more goals unfortunately Harbourne got a goal back, this woke them up and Cannock’s 12 players started to tire after working so hard, Harbourne pushed again and got another goal to equal the game, Cannock had another golden chance to go ahead again only for their returning skipper to place the ball wide. More chances went a missing, then with a few minutes to go, a breakdown in midfield and Harbourne pounced to score their 3rd goal.

Cannock tried to get equal but time ran out before they could score again, I Hard lesson was dealt today but this will only fuel the 4’s desire to try harder next week.
MOM Radda       DOD Paul Minall


Cannock M5s 2 – 6 Sutton M5s

Cannock 5ths match against Sutton 5ths was definitely a game of two halves, as the sporting cliché goes. Hosting the team lying in 2nd in the league, Cannock started brightly, winning a penalty corner inside 5 minutes, which was crisply converted by Derek Prince in his first game in 7 months. 10 minutes later, Sutton were awarded a short of their own following their first foray into the Cannock D. This too, was neatly put away when the postman was unsighted by the keeper. Cannock steeled themselves and played in a disciplined and efficient manner for the remainder of the half. Cameron Horn in particular played some outstanding hockey at the back, putting in some tremendous challenges and frequently turning defence into attack. Eventually, a good cross from Harry Michael was turned in past the hapless keeper by Lee "Swampy" Marsh, to give Cannock a deserved 2-1 lead at the break.

The second half saw a completely different Sutton side come out. Aggressive and ruthless, everything they tried came off, allowing them to score 5 goals to turn the result 6-2 in their favor. Although not the sole reason, Cannock playing into a low bright sun was certainly to blame for 2 goals. Cannock were unlucky not to have a number of crucial umpiring decisions go their way, particularly as some challenges would have been more appropriate on a rugby pitch.

Although Canmock kept fighting until the end, it was not to be And although the 6-2 score line flattered the visitors, it was not a game that Cannock deserved to win.  MoM Alan Craddock


Cannock L1s 1 – 0 Bath Buccaneers

Cannock ladies 1s hosted Bath Buccaneers both of whom were searching for a win. Cannock started strong and piled the pressure on to Bath who some how managed to keep two shots out the goal with great stops on the line by their defenders. Cannock should have gone 1-0 upon the first half when they were awarded a penalty flick only to see it saved by the keeper. Cannock did not get despondent and a good tackle on the half way line saw Cannock break away and go 1-0 up only 35 seconds into the second half thanks to a bunted goal from Mia foster

Bath made Cannock work hard to keep hold of their 1-0 victory gaining a late penalty corner which they failed to convert. Cannock’s second win of the season will give them confidence going to a strong Olton side next week.

POM for a second week Ruth Graham   DOD for second week Holly Turbull


Cannock L2s 0 - 6 Nottingham University


Sunday 29th October 29, 2017


University of Nottingham 4-3 Cannock M1s

Cannock travelled to the league leaders knowing the extent of the task ahead. Early pressure from the students saw them score a 4th minute penalty corner and put the young Nockers on the back foot. Continued pressure saw Notts Uni score two more corners to open up a 3-0 lead after just 20 minutes. Cannock lads closed ranks and took the game to their opposition and a penalty corner of our own on half time saw the deficit reduced to 3-1 thanks to a Callum Stacey finish.

Following a half time chat and some home truths exchanged the young Stags came out for the second half a different team and saw the Stags get a footing in the game and create opportunities. However, following a defensive error the next goal was scored by Notts Uni & saw them widen their lead to 4-1.

Cannock refused to lie down though and kept battling away to force more circle entries and finally win another penalty corner thanks to a surging Stu Gooderham run. The penalty corner was again put home by Callum Stacey to close the gap to 4-2. A minute later another penalty corner was awarded to the Stags. This time the Notts keeper make a save but the ball fell to Dylan Shirley who took his time to fire the ball home & bring the game back to within a goal.

Despite a frantic last five minutes the Stags couldn't get that all important equaliser & saw the students take the game 4-3. A result that shows Cannock can compete with all in this league but a disappointment as we return home with no points. We go again!
MoM - Duncan Gladwin


Cannock M5s 1 – 6 Burton

Cannock's #properhockeyplayers ventured into new territory with a game in the new England Hockey National Cup (Tier 4). A mixture of 4th and 5th team players faced a nominal Burton 3rd team. However, with Burton not entering their 1s and 2s into the competition, the regulations allowed Burton to effectively field 1st, 2nd and 3rd team players. Nockers knew it would be a tough day.

A fast and skilful Burton forward line caused problems for the Cannock defence from the word go and keeper Rufus Horn was called into action almost immediately with a fine quadruple save. Further attacks forced more saves from the Cannock skipper.

Eventually the deadlock was broken when Horn kept out 3 attempts but couldn't stop the 4th. More attacks followed with further action for Horn and the hardworking defence of Owen, Daffern, Callow and Cameron Horn. Some resulted in great tackles, others in fine saves, but 4 of them finished in the net making the score 5-0 at the break. Cannock were not without their own opportunities to score, including 2 missed shots on an open goal.

Realistically, the game was over as a contest, but a rallying call from the exuberant Dave Wigg to play for pride and for the badge, was met with a positive response from all.

The second half was a different matter altogether. A slight change in the Cannock formation resulted in Burton being frustrated by either great defending or good goalkeeping. Despite a number of chances, Burton were restricted to a single goal. Cannock responded with a goal of their own when Dave Wigg converted the only penalty corner Cannock were awarded all game. When the final whistle went, although the game was lost 6-1, the half was drawn 1-1.

Although the result wasn't what Cannock hoped for, there was much for the #properhockeyplayers to be proud of.

MoM was skipper Rufus Horn for his outstanding performance in goal.  DoD was Paulio Martin, thanks to his inability to tap the ball into an open goal from 2 feet out.

Why Cannock Hockey Club

Why Cannock? We've a history of competing in and winning National competitions across all junior and senior hockey. We're also a great club with numerous sides playing every weekend for players of all ability and commitment! 

Get in touch

Our latest news

Sponsors Area

© 2012 - 2021 Cannock Hockey Club. All rights reserved.

To contact your Data Controller, click here

Respice - Aspice - Prospice 'Cherish the past; Build on our present achievements; Be adventurously ambitious for the future.'

If you wish to withdraw consent from us holding your personal data please email requesting your data be removed from the site. However, this will only be possible if you cease your membership.

In addition, if you wish to exercise your right to be forgotten please click here

Powered by ClubBuzz.

Details of Data Controller are

Name: Rob Davies