Match Reports Saturday 7th October 2017. Report No. 6

Posted by Victoria Adams on 8 October 2017

Cannock M1s 2-1 Deeside Ramblers

   Cannock maintained they're 100% home record with an impressive victory over Deeside. From the first whistle Cannock demonstrated their superior fitness & ran Deeside ragged with quick counter attacking hockey.
   Cannock took a 1-0 lead in the first half thanks to a quick break & a close range finish from Stuart Gooderham - scoring on his debut after returning this week to his home club after a few years away. Cannock continued to ask questions but failed to add to their lead & lead 1-0 at half time.
   The second half had a similar pattern as Cannock continued to gain circle entries & eventually the pressure told as a penalty stroke was awarded for the Stags & Callum Stacey stepped up to make it 2-0.
   A late short penalty corner goal for Deeside made the last five minutes tense but Cannock held out to get another three points & win the game 2-1.
   Next week the young Stags travel to last season champions Durham University.


   Cannock M2s 5 - 2 Leek
   The 2s began the season with 9 men after a slight detour to Nottingham on the way to Leek. After a minute with 9 men leek still had not manage to break the Cannock D and with the team back up to 11 players the game was on. 
   The creeping pressure from the forward line meant quickly that Cannock were getting turn over high up the pitch and outcomes where becoming more frequent. The Cannock side though not perfect continued to build momentum and with time outcomes began to become more frequent. 
   The half time lead was only 2 with three goals to follow after the half time whistle. The structure of Cannock’s midfield and forward lines became ragged and leek where able to find the long ball into Cannock’s D. Poor defensive decisions led to a short corner stopping the clean sheet. A questionable goal with an imaginative interpretation on the lofted rule was ultimately to blame. Hung up on this decision Cannock let the oppo have a free shot from top D. Louie Morris converting two of those chances, while Parker, Warren and Davis all secured one each. 
   Final score of 5-2 was very presentable considering all the fun and games. MoM Rich Parker. DoD The bloke who blocked Ollies car in


Cannock M3s 4 - 1 Olton & West Warick 

   An away trip to Olton & West Warwick awaited Cannock Men’s 3rd Team for their opening game of the 17/18 campaign. With the bare 11 players and a unexpected place in goal for the inexperienced captain to fill the void, there was a level of nervousness amoungst the team.
   The opposition looked full of confidence from the start and looked to take advantage of the stand in keeper. It soon became apparent to Olton that getting into the Cannock D wouldn’t be easy. A well structured Cannock stifled Olton’s play and soon found themselves pressing them back and forcing a number of probing attack’s. The first penalty corner came from a jinking run from Lewis Micheal’s, moving down the right side to find an opposition foot in the D. This led to James Griffiths firing home a drag flick into the bottom left of the goal. 1-0 to Cannock.
   Cannock started to gain confidence and pressed further. The possession was evenly split between the teams but Olton struggled to get into the Cannock D with some resilient defending from the back four. Another Cannock attack found Danny Swinnerton moving the ball well out of midfield and forcing the attack forward. Andrew Hodgetts fired a cross from the right side for James Griffiths to meet it and get his second. 2-0.
   Olton in a bit of disarray being 2-0 down within 20 mins soon picked up the pace and started to find gaps in the Cannock defence. They forced a penalty corner, found some space and a neat finish into the bottom corner. This brought it back to 2-1.
   The first half was nearly finished when a counter attack from Olton found them driving in from right into the D, Tom Widdowson rushed out of goal and picked the ball from the attacker, only to be penalised with a penalty stroke for infringing the player. After a protest for winning the ball, the umpires overturned the call to a penalty corner, which was well defended without a goal. Half time 2-1.
   The second half Cannock stood firm, found more possession and defended harder. Olton had a number of chances but were unable to convert them, this increased their frustration. Tom Spencer led the Cannock defence and made tackle after tackle to ensure the ball was kept away from the goal.
   Ed Martin created a number of attacking runs and with the tired legs of the opposition soon found space which led to another penalty corner. A well worked move led to a second phase which was followed up by Andrew Hodgetts to convert his first of the season. 3-1. The game was coming to a close but Cannock were not finished just yet, James G, Ed M and James Hudson started to move the ball with ease working up the pitch, this allowed a last opportunity for our overseas man Nick Trebilcock to find his one and only goal for the season (He flys home Friday) with a sharp strike to make it a final score of 4-1.
   A great all round performance from the whole team produced by players playing for each other. No individuals on that pitch today. #strenghtinunity #nockers


Cannock M4s 0 - 2 Olton

Cannock 4’s opened their 2017/2018 season at home against Olton 4’s, with a new season comes a new team. Cannock with stand in keeper Gary Stacey started well, unfortunately the possession didn’t turn into goals and the first half ended 0 - 0.
   Within 10 minutes of the start of the second half Olton scored from a break away goal, a well taken shot from the edge of the D gave Gary no chance as the ball hit the far corner of the goals, Cannock then saw themselves reduced to 10 men when Evan Alcock was shown a green card for bad language, Olton where also reduced to 10 men 6 minutes later, 25 minutes into second half Gary pulled off a brilliant save, but some 4 mixtures later Olton doubled their score from a break down of a Cannock short corner Cannock were exposed and Olton took advantage.
   Cannock kept on pushing the a goal and got 7 short corners but to no avail, with 6 minutes to go Cannock got another short corner which found the back of the net but was disallowed due to the ball being lifted.
   The game ended 0-2 to the visitors, Cannock travel away next week to Old Hales hoping to get their 1st win of the season.


Cannock M5s 1- 4 Bridgnorth M4s

   Cannock Mens 5ths faced Bridgnorth 4ths who had just been relegated from the league above. The visitors brought a very strong side to play a Cannock side missing a number of key players.
   Bridgnorth found themselves 1 nil up within 10 minutes, thanks to a superbly executed drag flick worthy of a player from a team higher than the 4ths. However, Cannock replied quickly through the excellent Bruce Alcock, playing out of position to add experience to the midfield. Despite chances at both ends the scores remained level at half time.
   Cannock played well and created a plenty of chances but were unable to convert them. Despite a resolute defence, Cannock conceded 2 goals in as many minutes with 15 to go. Bridgnorth then scored a fourth with a couple of minutes to go.
   Cannock should be pleased with their performance today- a couple of players could have brought about a very different result against arguably the strongest team in the league.
   Rufus Horn was voted Man of the Match for his performance in the Cannock goal. Lee "Swampy" Marsh earned Dick of the Day for not realising the game was a league match, not a friendly until he was in the shower after the game.


Cannock L1s 0 - 6 Stourport 

   Cannock ladies hosted Stourport a team clearly pushing for promotion. Cannock were quickly on the back foot when a defensive mix up saw Stourport tap their first goal in.
   Cannock had some patches of nice play but struggled to break down a strong and organised Stourport who ultimately punished Cannock by beating them 6-0


Cannock L2s 3 - 3 Edgbaston L1s

   With no goals scored this season cannock started with an attacking formation leading to an exciting start to the half, real end to end hockey resulting in many penetrations of edgbaston D. Edgbaston got lucky with a goal before half time against the run of play.
   In the second half we equalised early with a well worked team goal finished off by Lucy Gooderham. Sophie tibbets doubled the goal tally shortly after. Edgbaston grabbed another making the score 2-2 with 15 minutes to go. With many efforts on the cannock goal Gemma pryce pulled off some incredible saves to keep us in the game. Unfortunately edgbaston got a third goal and with only a few minutes to go Shelley Hodgson took the ball out of the air smashing it in for Cannock's third and the equaliser!
   Man of the match was shared between Gemma Pryce and Victoria Dennison


Cannock L3s 12 - 0 West Brom *Team of the week* 

   Cannock ladies played newly promoted West Brom away, we started out strong and attacked the game throughout the 1st half, despite numerous efforts and a keeper on a high we managed 2 goals by half time.
   After the break we went out and scored within 30seconds and from then on dominated the game and the backboard with a 12-0 win. Jenna Martin 7, meg Lancaster 2, Bev cartlidge 1, Jenny Collins 1 and lucy Black 1. POM Jenna Martin
   (Total= 3 wins, 3 clean sheets and 19scored)


Cannock L4s 4 - 3 Aldridge 

   Cannock ladies 4s played a strong sided Aldridge 1s, who have recently been relegated from league above, Game was slow starting and was very evenly matched, with some good hockey and fine passes from Cannock , Alice Runton got a lovely 1st goal for Cannock, shortly followed by a strike by Danni Steventon.
   A mishap on the line from Aldridge meant that Cannock were given a stroke , and Danni Steventon managed to get it in the net, she then managed to get another not long after.
   A tough game with only 11 players, but team is working well together, and remain at top of the league after 3 games , will be a tough game next week against Tamworth.


Cannock L5s 1 - 1 Dudley

   Cannock Ladies 5's played a strong game against Dudley, maintaining a fixed position throughout the game and continuing their level of pressure so that their opposition was limited for movement.
   Dudley scored their first goal in the second half, followed by a goal, from a short corner, by Rebecca Chapman, causing the final result to be 1-1.
   Cannock's player of the match went to thirteen year old, Lucy Norwood, who is a new player to the 5th team and beginning her career in ladies hockey. As well as, Georgia Lloyd who was voted player of the match from Dudley's team.

Why Cannock Hockey Club

Why Cannock? We've a history of competing in and winning National competitions across all junior and senior hockey. We're also a great club with numerous sides playing every weekend for players of all ability and commitment! 

Get in touch

Our latest news

Sponsors Area

© 2012 - 2021 Cannock Hockey Club. All rights reserved.

To contact your Data Controller, click here

Respice - Aspice - Prospice 'Cherish the past; Build on our present achievements; Be adventurously ambitious for the future.'

If you wish to withdraw consent from us holding your personal data please email requesting your data be removed from the site. However, this will only be possible if you cease your membership.

In addition, if you wish to exercise your right to be forgotten please click here

Powered by ClubBuzz.

Details of Data Controller are

Name: Rob Davies