Match Reports 22nd February!

Posted by Victoria Adams on 27 February 2020

Cannock M1s 9 - 0  Stourport

   Cannock were missing a few regulars from the side this week due to injury and illness but Cannock still felt confident they could get the job done. As is becoming the norm for Cannock, they started woefully and couldn’t get hold of the ball for the first 10 minutes. 
   That all changed after the first goal. Some lovely interplay down the right from the returning Jawanda and Ley ( who stopped every ball throughout the game) lead to Harris putting the ball over an advancing goalkeeper. After this Cannock started to press aggressively and won a lot of ball in the Stourport half. Especially the new improved on time, organised Widdowson. They won a couple of short corners but the sleep deprived Harris struggled to score. On their 3rd corner, Harris asked Fleet if he could take it instead. The skipper stood up and caressed it into the bottom corner. 2-0
   Cannock continued to press forward and this intensity lead to Jawanda scoring 3 reverse stick shots in the space of 10 minutes. 5-0. Before the half finished Cannock had numerous chances to increase the score. Mainly due to lovely play from the young defenders Ley, Cattell and Michael. Experienced Hudson also contributed nicely to the offence.  At half time Cannock discussed this and decided they should not miss so many chances in the second half. 
   Surprisingly, Cannock started the second half slowly allowing Stourport plenty of possession but again the mixed aged defence stood strong. Cannock’s sixth goal was a classic Jawanda reverse stick shot. The 7th was a delight from the yum yum free Martin. It ticked many boxes for the skipper.
Cannock won the ball in their own half ✅
Hodgetts stopped and passed the ball ✅
Cannock broke at pace ✅
Martin blasted the ball into the top corner ✅
The 8th was again a treat for the fans. Especially the fans of IT friendships with Hodgetts and Harris combining nicely in the D to pass the ball easily around the keeper to make it 8-0. 
   A fast counter attack lead to the 9th and final goal. Cannock won the ball well on the left side then passed forward to Jawanda just in Stourport’s half. He carried the ball quickly towards the opposition’s D. He could have passed right..he didn’t. He turned back inside so he could pass left but...he didn’t. He wobbled on the top of the D before clipping the ball into the open net. Cannock finished the game well but couldn’t score anymore. They keep their lead at the top of the table.


Cannock M3s 4 - 1 Stone 

   Cannock 3rds visited Stone for the first game of a weekend double header. Captain Rufus Horn returned to the side for the first time in 2020 due to a weekend off work and actually having opposition to play. The home side were very different to the side easily despatched 7-1 back in November. A side composed of talented, well drilled youngsters and a few older heads were definitely more of a match for the men from Cannock. Cannock made their usual bright start, putting Stone under pressure from the off. However, resolute defence and good goalkeeping prevented the opening goal. Stone counter attacked well, forcing chances of their own which were dealt with ably by keeper Horn and the defence.  One of these defensive turnovers by Fin Mcall enabled him to release Ollie Bhageerutty down the right and find ZDave Wigg. Wiggy went on a mazy run before penetrating the circle. In an attempt to round the keeper, it appeared he had lost control. However, Wigg dived for the ball full length and swept the ball one handed into the opening goal. 
   Shortly after the restart, Henry Jones finished well from a short corner to double Cannock's lead. Things were far from comfortable however as Stine continued to press. When the defence failed to clear in a messy goalmouth scramble, Stone bundled the ball in to make it 2-1. Cannock then had to endure a sustained period of pressure including several short corners but these were dealt with efficiently by the defence.  
   Cannock once again went on the attack and when the ball struck a Stone foot in the D but no sound coming from the referee's whistle, Henry Jones had the presence of mind to smash the ball  home for his second and Cannock's third. Soon, Cannock were awarded another PC which Dave Wigg slotted for his 31st goal of the season. Final score was 4-1 to Cannock, who always looked in control despite being pushed hard by a useful Stone outfit.
Man of the match was deservedly awarded to Henry Jones.


Cannock M3s 5 - 1 Wolverhampton 

   Cannock 3rds played their 2nd game in less than 24 hours, thanks to a re-arranged game against Wolverhampton. The reasons for the rescheduling are too long and complex to go into here, but as usual with Sunday games there is always some concern about that ability of the side being faced.
   A wet and overcast Aldersley was brightened by the play of a youthful Cannock side, determined to play their brand of expansive, free flowing hockey. Numerous attacks early on finally bore fruit when Nat Yerbury turned the ball in to give Cannock the lead. More attacks led to a series of short corners, one of which was converted by debutant Tom Anderton, who added his second a few minutes later. More pressure created more chances, but none of these could be finished. Dave Wigg fired a fearsome shot which pinged off the post and back into play. Lewis Asling was quickest to pounce and finished to give Cannock a 4-0 lead.
   Wolverhampton had plenty of attacks of their own, but too often they relied on smashing the ball through a crowd of players, hoping to get something on the ball. Not a single, solitary shot needed to be dealt with, until Cameron Horn committed a violent assault on a minor outside the D, conceding short corner. The initial shot from Wolverhampton was blocked by keeper Horn's left hand at chest height and dropped to an advancing forward who pushed into the goal. Fully expecting it to be ruled out for the first strike being too high, Cannock were astounded when the goal was allowed to stand and their protests fell on deaf ears. The half time whistle went almost immediately and the score was 4-1.
   Cannock started the 2nd half playing up the slope and found a rather different side in front of them. Wolverhampton had shored up the defence with an extra player and had decided to  change tactics and attack down the wings, putting Cannock under more sustained pressure. However, when were unable to manage a single shot, the home side reverted to the preferred method of trashing the ball in from the halfway line. That didn't work either...
   Cannock worked hard and created numerous opportunities but were only able to add one more goal, giving Anderton a hat trick on his debut for the club. A keeper in good form and defending that would have brought a tear to Davey Crockett's eye meant that Goalmeister Wiggy was unable to add to his tally of 31 for the season- the first time this season that he has played but not scored. It should be noted though, that all 5 Cannock goals came from Mr W. 5-1 was how it ended and Man of the Match was given to Tom Anderton. 

Cannock approach the latter part of the season 2 points behind leaders Stafford but with a far superior goal difference, should it become necessary. The top 2 face each other in the penultimate game of the season...


Cannock L1s 2 - 2 Doncaster 

   Cannock ladies 1s welcomes doncaster to EDA they started the game very well but found themselves undeservedly 1-0 down after a slight mishap. Cannock got themselves back into the game through a sweet Emma pardo strike off a short corner. Cannock continued to push hard and play some nice hockey getting their just rewards from a Jodie Beddow finish.
Unfortunately Doncaster equalised from a well taken deflected short corner and the game played out to 2-2

Why Cannock Hockey Club

Why Cannock? We've a history of competing in and winning National competitions across all junior and senior hockey. We're also a great club with numerous sides playing every weekend for players of all ability and commitment! 

Get in touch

Our latest news

Sponsors Area

© 2012 - 2021 Cannock Hockey Club. All rights reserved.

To contact your Data Controller, click here

Respice - Aspice - Prospice 'Cherish the past; Build on our present achievements; Be adventurously ambitious for the future.'

If you wish to withdraw consent from us holding your personal data please email requesting your data be removed from the site. However, this will only be possible if you cease your membership.

In addition, if you wish to exercise your right to be forgotten please click here

Powered by ClubBuzz.

Details of Data Controller are

Name: Rob Davies